SOURCES FOR FREE GLOBAL LESSON PLANS TO USE ALONG WITH CULTURE KITS
The Carolina Asia Center supports educators by providing lesson plans that infuse Asia content into everyday topics.
Committed to the exploration of cultural, environmental, and social issues, Global Oneness Project offer a rich library of multimedia stories comprised of award-winning films, photo essays, and articles. Companion curriculum and discussion guides are also available.
Teaching Tolerance provides free resources to educators. Their mission is to help teachers and schools educate children and youth to be active participants in a diverse democracy. The program emphasizes social justice and anti-bias.
POV (a cinema term for “point of view”) is television’s longest-running showcase for independent non-fiction films.
TED-Ed is TED’s youth and education initiative.
Journeys in Film has been a leading force in global education and teaching with film for over a decade. They combine the power of moving and provocative films with the highest quality standards-based lesson plans to inspire and engage students in learning.
Teaching resources for the Middle East, including websites, lesson plans, classroom activities, podcasts, maps, videos, and current events.
World Geography and Cultures
- Google Earth
Download for free and go explore!
- Google Earth Education
Learn about the many features in Google Earth and how to include it in your learning objectives. Explore a huge library of 360-degree imagery using Street View.
- Teaching with Google Earth
Educational resources from National Geographic to use with Google Earth.
- Google Arts & Culture
Take virtual tours of museum galleries and explore information about artwork.
- National Geographic Explorer Classroom
Bring National Geographic into the classroom with these activities, lessons, and units.
- Multicultural Kids Blogs
For families and educators raising world citizens, through arts, activities, crafts, food, language, and love.
Connecting Outside the Classroom
- Skype in the Classroom
Take your students outside the classroom with live learning activities by experts via Skype.
- Mystery Skype
Kids learn about world geography and culture through this global guessing game.
- Global Read Aloud
One Book to Connect the World. Sign up here.
- Virtual Field Trips
Microsoft in Education. Visit experts in the field all around the world.
- Guest Speakers
Connect with guest speakers from around the globe on a variety of topics.
A free tool connecting classrooms around the world
LESSON PLANS FOR CULTURE KITS WITH OLD NC STATE STANDARDS
These lesson plans include the former NC state standards, however they can be used to give you ideas for creating your own lesson plans with updated standards.
- Botswana (Kindergarten)
- Cameroon (Kindergarten)
- Ghana and Kenya (Grade 7)
- Senegal (Grade 10 Civics and Economics)
- South Africa #1 (Grades K-1)
- Tanzania (Kindergarten)
- Zimbabwe (Grades 2 & 7)
- Argentina Kit #1 (Grades 6-12)
- Colombia Kit #1 (Grade 5)
- Costa Rica Kit #1 (Grade 5)
- Mexico #1 (Kindergarten)
- Panama (Grades 2 & 5)
- Trinidad and Tobago (Grade 2)
- Azerbaijan (Grade 7)
- China (Grades 1-5)
- India Kit #1 (Grade 7)
- Japan Kit #1 (Grades 3-8)
- Kyrgyzstan (Grade 4 Social Studies)
- Malaysia (Grades K-3)
- Nepal (Grade 12 Geography)
- Pakistan Kit #1 (Grades 3-5)
- Taiwan (Grades K-2)
- Vietnam (Grade 9)
- Denmark (Grade K-1)
- France Kit #1 (Grades K-12)
- Germany Kit #1 (Grade 6)
- Netherlands Kit #1 (Grades 5-6)
- Ireland and Scotland Kit #1 (Grade 6)
- Montenegro (Balkans Kit) (Grades 8 & 11 US History)
- Norway and Sweden (Grade 12 Geography)
- Poland Kit #1 (Grades K-2)
- Romania (Grade 10)
- Russia (Grades 3-4)
- Spain #1 (Grade 6)
- Switzerland (Grade 6)
- Bahrain (Grade 7)
- Israel and Palestine (Grade 7 Social Studies & Grade 10 Civics and Economics)
- Turkey (Grade 9)
(*This section is currently under construction. We are adding in more lesson plans).
NEW LESSON PLANS FOR CULTURE KITS
These lesson plans were created after 2016 with the new North Carolina teaching standards.
- Cultures Through Colors (Kenya Culture Kit #3), 5th-8th grade
- Let’s Learn Some Swahili!
- Kenya-Homemade Plastic Soccer Ball
- American Indian Kit-“Breaking Stereotypes” (Grades 3-5)
- North Carolina Culture Kit-“When the Parkway Came: Environmental and Cultural Impact on Land and People in Appalachia” (4th Grade)
- Japan Culture Kit #2-“Japan or Bust: It’s All About The Words” (2nd Grade)